the fairfax county ques

the fairfax county ques

Although there existed a number of graduate chapters of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., throughout the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area, several visionary brothers in August 1980, understood the need for another graduate chapter strictly devoted to serving the needs of Fairfax County, Virginia. Spearheading the effort to establish this new chapter was Brother James F. Jenkins, an Omega Man for more than 30 years. Assisting Brother Jenkins were Brothers Isaiah E. Barnwell, Jr. and Connie A. Brown, lifetime members with over 30 years of service between them.After a few months of negotiation and coordination with officials of the Fraternity’s Third District and National Headquarters, thirteen petitioning brothers drafted a letter to the Supreme Council on November 12, 1980. The letter entitled: “Justification for a Graduate Chapter in Fairfax County, Virginia.” stated:

“The diverse demography of Northern Virginia argues persuasively for a chapter devoted exclusively to the dynamics of Fairfax County. There are more than 100 Omega men known to be residing in Fairfax County who are not affiliated with any chapter. We, the petitioning brothers, intend to initiate a serious effort to reclaim such brothers. In our view and in order for the work of Omega to go forward in the 1980s, a graduate chapter for Fairfax County is not only desirable, but most fitting and appropriate. Confident that we have met the requisite Fraternity Constitutional stipulations for petitioning a new graduate chapter, we request that the Supreme Council grant this charter expeditiously in order for the concerned brothers in Fairfax County, to begin to advance the cause of Omega on January 1, 1981 or as soon thereafter as possible.”

read more

community service is our passion

community service is our passion

Psi Alpha Alpha is committed in providing a consistent focus on community service in Fairfax County, Virginia. Our efforts are deeply rooted in the foundation of our illustrious organization’s four cardinal principles of Manhood, Scholarship, Perseverance, and Uplift. Each of the principles can be found woven into our social action outreach efforts throughout the community. Programs such as Reading for Success, I Believe I Can Fly, Juneteenth Celebration, Adopt-A-Highway, food bank, and the Grandfather’s program to name just a few, each have a rightful place amongst those community actions that the chapter is extremely proud of. It will remain important that that Psi Alpha Alpha will continue to maximize the benefit of the resources we have at our disposal. The sustained and effective use of our collective resources is critical to the success of our community, those less fortunate, and our posterity.

read more

friendship is essential to the soul

friendship is essential to the soul

November 17, 1911 is a day that will have an everlasting impact on millions of people each year. This day marked the creation of an organization that has, is, and will contribute enormously to the advancement and development of many great people. It all started in the Science Hall of Howard University. Edgar A. Love, Oscar J. Cooper, and Frank Coleman gave birth to Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. These three students under the watchful eye of Professor Ernest E. Just initiated Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. From the initials of the Greek phrase meaning “friendship is essential to the soul,” the name Omega Psi Phi was derived. The phrase was selected as the motto. MANHOOD, SCHOLARSHIP, PERSEVERANCE and UPLIFT were adopted as cardinal principles. A decision was made regarding the design for the pin and emblem, and thus ended the first meeting of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. On December 15, 1911, Alpha Chapter was organized.

In 1949, the first National Headquarters Building at 107 Rhode Island Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. was purchased. In 1964, the new National Headquarters Building was dedicated. The building was a dream come true and was the first building of its type to be built by a black fraternity. Founders Love, Cooper and Coleman participated in the ceremonies. The name was later changed to the International Headquarters. It is located at 2714 Georgia Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20001. November 16, 1975, an impressive granite monument was dedicated to the memory of the four founders. The monument is just a few feet away from Thirkield Hall, the site of Omega’s birth place on the Howard University Campus.

read more